Chicken is one of those effortless proteins. You don’t really need to do much to get lip-smackin’ flavor. But when you decide to use something other than salt, pepper, and a little char — try chili lime chicken. Marinated in a melody of lime and honey, you’ve got that everlasting love between sour and sweet. The herbaceous brightness of cilantro and a kick of jalapeño may make you wish you had made more.
Make this dish an easy meal by wrapping your chili lime chicken in a collard leaf and serving with a side of Garlic Sweet Potato Fries .
Chili Lime Chicken
- 1h 35m
- 2 limes
- 1/4 c cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 2 lb chicken breasts
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice and zest limes. Mince cilantro and garlic. Deseed and finely chop jalapeno. Using a mallet, pound down the chicken breasts into ½ inch thickness.
- In a bowl, whisk together lime juice, lime zest, cilantro, jalapeño, olive oil, honey, salt, and chili powder. Pour marinade over chicken and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove chicken from liquid, discard marinade. Pat chicken dry.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown for 2-3 minutes on each side each.
- Place the pan in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Remove from oven and serve topped with additional cilantro if desired for garnish.