Greek meatballs in all their minty, feta-filled glory. Then covered in avgolemono – a rich, creamy sauce popping with bright notes of lemon. If you’ve never heard of avgolemono, imagine lemon and egg yolk teaming up to thicken sauces and add the finishing touch to traditional Greek soups.
Greek Meatballs In Avgolemono Sauce
- 1h 20m
For the meatballs:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1/2 c mint leaves
- 1/4 c fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 lb ground turkey, or ground meat of choice
- 3/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 oz feta cheese
For the sauce:
- 1/4 c butter
- 1 tbsp. sprouted flour
- 2 c chicken stock, or beef stock
- 1 lemons
- 1 egg yolks
- Dice or set your food processor to grate and process the garlic and onion; remove. Using the s-blade, mince mint and parsley. Remove and add optional liver and puree.
- Add minced garlic, onion, mint, parsley, liver, ground beef, and ground lamb to one bowl.
- Add salt, black pepper and eggs to a separate bowl. Beat eggs and spices until smooth.
- Add eggs to meat mixture and thoroughly combine with hands.
- Crumble feta cheese and fold into mixture with hands gently.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Roll mixture into small ping pong ball sized meatballs. Line a baking sheet with silpat or parchment and place meatballs on the prepared sheet with enough space so they are not touching. Bake meatballs for approximately 20 minutes, then transfer to sauce.
- For the sauce: While the meatballs are baking, in a large skillet, heat the butter then add the flour and whisk to combine for about 3 minutes, taking care not to burn the flour.
- Slowly pour in beef or chicken stock, continuing to whisk and stir out any lumps.
- When combined and smooth, add the meatballs and simmer for 15 minutes, until the sauce is slightly thick.
- Juice the lemons.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks and lemon juice together thoroughly. One at a time, add a few tablespoons of the sauce to the egg and lemon mixture while constantly whisking.
- Add the egg/lemon/sauce mixture to the meatballs in the sauce. Give it a quick stir, and remove from the heat.
- Serve with a sprinkling of pepper and fresh mint on top.