Quick and Easy Dinner Rolls
- 1 batch
- 1 c water
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 1/4 c butter, optional
- 1/4 c cane sugar
- 2 tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3 1/2 c flour, plus more as needed
- Warm water until it just starts to steam, but do not boil. Beat egg and set aside. Grease 9x13 baking dish with olive oil. Melt butter and set aside.
- Add water, oil, sugar, and yeast to bowl of stand mixer. Give a quick stir and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Once yeast has bloomed, add egg, salt, and 1/2 of the flour. Using dough hook, mix until flour is incorporated. Add other half of flour and knead with dough hook until dough comes together in a ball. Dough should be soft but only slightly sticky. If dough is too sticky, gradually add up to 1/2 cup more flour until dough is soft and smooth.
- If you do not have a stand mixer, mix flour in, using a wooden spoon, until fully incorporated. Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead until soft, smooth, and only slightly sticky, about 5-10 minutes.
- Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and knead a few times to make sure flour is all incorporated.
- Divide dough into 4 sections and then divide each section into thirds. Form balls with the dough by pulling all sides down and "tucking" ends into bottom. It should form a nice, smooth top.
- Place rolls in greased baking dish and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Allow to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. An oven preheated to lowest temperature then turned off again will work well in a cool kitchen.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bake on middle rack of oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Brush hot rolls with melted butter and enjoy!