Equal parts potato to butter and cream, classic mashed potatoes are almost as essential to the Thanksgiving table as turkey.
For a fluffier mash, choose mealy russet potatoes and rinse twice – once before boiling and once afterwards. If you like your potatoes ultra creamy, go with a waxier variety like Yukon Gold.
And because the perfect bite is a balance between sweet, tangy and savory – your mashed potatoes won’t feel quite complete without puddles of Classic Gravy and generous swirl of Simple Cranberry Sauce .
Classic Mashed Potatoes
- 5.0 stars
- 10 large baking potatoes
- 3 tbsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 lb butter
- 3 c cream
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel potatoes and chop into 2 inch chunks. Place potatoes in a large stock pot and cover by two inches with filtered water. Add two-thirds of the sea salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil, cooking for 20-25 minutes until potatoes mash easily with a fork.
- Drain in a large colander. Immediately mash using a potato masher. Fold in butter, cream, and remaining sea salt. Then whip smooth using a hand mixer. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and additional sea salt.