Lip-smackin’ BBQ anyone? Peppery and sweet, coconut curry baked beans are a meatless version of traditional baked beans. With the addition of ginger, cumin, and coconut milk – cook these baked beans long and slow and you’ll get the honeyed richness you expect from baked beans…along with the curative power of curry.
Coconut Curry Baked Beans
- 5.0 stars
- 3h 15m
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 14 oz coconut milk
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. sucanat
- 4 c cooked pinto beans
- Dice the onion and mince clove of garlic and piece of ginger.
- Add the cooked beans to your slow cooker.
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute. Stir in the ginger, curry powder, cumin, red peppers flakes, and salt.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the coconut milk, tomato paste, sucanat and stir well.
- Pour over beans and stir gently until beans are coated.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours.
- Adjust seasonings if needed and serve.