Sweet and spicy, this BBQ tempeh goes from fridge to table in just thirty minutes! Serve on top of buns alongside a yummy coleslaw for the ultimate vegetarian barbecue experience.
- 4.0 stars
- 24 oz tempeh
- cajun seasoning
- 2 c barbecue sauce
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- Cut the tempeh into 1/2 inch thick strips.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and toss the tempeh in, allowing it to boil for 10 minutes.
- Take the tempeh out and lay the strips on a towel to drain the excess liquid.
- Pat dry, and rub each piece with Cajun seasoning, just enough to coat.
- Heat a skillet on low-medium heat, and add in 1 T. coconut oil. (Unless you have a very large skillet, you will need to saute the tempeh in batches, using 1 T. oil per package of tempeh used.)
- Once the oil is melted, add in half or 1/3 of the tempeh, depending on how large your pan is. Coat each piece, then let them saute for 3-5 minutes on each side. Once done, set the tempeh aside and repeat the same procedure for the remaining tempeh.
- Once all the tempeh is sautéed, return it to the pan (in batches).
- Heat the skillet to medium heat, and add in enough barbecue sauce to liberally coat each piece. Sauté for a minute or two until the sauce reduces slightly, then remove from pan and start on the next batch.