Every summer, you need a little gazpacho with shrimp in your life. Allow us to explain: Tomatoes that have ripened with sweetness and flavor in the warm summer sun. Cooling cucumbers. A fresh bite of cilantro. Luscious and light avocado. And a squeeze of lime.
Shrimp is what pulls this gazpacho together. If you can, make a point of sourcing your shrimp from Oregon or the northeast of the United States. Look for wild bay shrimp. Because quality matters. And so does your health.
Serve with Salmon and Seaweed Roll Ups (AIP) and celebrate all nutrient-rich goodness that comes from the sea.
Gazpacho With Shrimp
- 1/2 lb wild bay shrimp
- 3 c chicken stock
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno, optional
- 1/2 small red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- coarse sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- Cook the shrimp and set aside.
- If chicken broth is frozen, melt in a saucepan, remove from heat and allow to cool. When warm, pour into a bowl and place in the fridge to let it cool down.
- Peel the tomatoes by filling a medium saucepan halfway with water (enough to cover your tomatoes). Bring to a boil, place the tomatoes in and boil for one minute; set aside to cool and peel. Chop into quarters, remove seeds with your fingers, and add to the bowl of your food processor with the s-blade in place.
- Peel the cucumbers, scrape out the seeds with a spoon, and chop into large pieces. Add to food processor.
- Remove the seeds from the peppers and chop into large pieces. Add to food processor.
- Peel the onion and dice; crush the garlic, and add both to food processor.
- Rinse cilantro, chop coarsely, and add to food processor.
- Pulse a few times for chunkier gazpacho or longer if you prefer it smoother.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add the cooled chicken stock. Stir in olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Juice the lime; Peel and slice the avocado.
- Add sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and lime juice to taste.
- Serve gazpacho topped with cooked shrimp and sliced avocado.