If you’re looking for a way to complement the warm, soft cook of sauteed zucchini – may we suggest mint, basil, and pine nuts?
The cooling undertones of mint pair perfectly with peppery basil – an herb that is part of the mint family. Pine nuts give a warm, fragrant crunch. And a squeeze of lemon pulls everything together.
Serve your sauteed zucchini as a refreshing side dish to Meatless Mushroom Burgers .
Sauteed Zucchini with Mint, Basil, and Pine Nuts
- 1 lb zucchini
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 c fresh mint
- 1/2 c fresh basil
- 1 tbsp. capers
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts
- 4 oz goat cheese
- Slice zucchini into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Heat 1/3 of the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add half the zucchini and sauté, flipping and turning every few minutes, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Don't salt them yet!
- While your zucchini cooks, finely chop the the garlic, mint, basil, and capers and stir together in a small bowl.
- When the zucchini is golden, remove it from the pan and cook the remaining zucchini in 1/3 of the oil, just as you did the first batch.
- Then add the first batch back into the pan, along with the herb-garlic mixture.
- Squeeze a lemon over top and season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to serving dish.
- In a small pan, lightly dry toast the pine nuts until golden.
- Garnish zucchini with pine nuts and crumble goat cheese on top. Serve.