Meatless mushroom burgers will have even your beef-loving friends lining up for seconds. There’s something about cremini mushrooms cooked down with onion, a generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese, and the notes of fresh parsley that makes each bite worth savoring.
Grilled to crispy perfection, top your burger with a slice of swiss cheese before pulling off the heat. Once your cheese begins to melt, pile with rounds of tomatoes and slices of avocado.
Because your meatless mushroom burger might beg for potatoes, make sure you have a couple trays of Breakfast Potatoes ready to go.
Meatless Mushroom Burgers
- 1 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c oat flour, (or other flour)
- 3 c breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
- For the fixings:
- 6 burger buns
- 4 oz swiss cheese
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- Cultured ketchup
- Wash and dice cremini mushrooms. Dice onion. Grate the cheese and chop the parsley.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add diced mushrooms. Let mushrooms cook until they release their liquid and dry out a bit, about 7-8 minutes, stirring regularly. Add onions and continue to cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove mushroom mixture from pan and add to food processor. Pulse a few times to roughly grind mushrooms. You don\'t want them completely smooth, but like a very rough paste.
- Stir in eggs, flour, one-third of the breadcrumbs, and other ingredients. The finished mixture should be wet, but not liquid. It should roughly hold its shape. If it is really wet, add more breadcrumbs or flour in 1/4 cup batches.
- Sprinkle remaining breadcrumbs in a large baking dish. Form patties with mushroom mixture. As you form the patties, place them in the breadcrumbs and turn them to completely coat each patty in breadcrumbs, forming a crust.
- Once all the patties are formed and in the breadcrumb mixture, let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Grill burgers over high heat for 5-6 minutes per side until the outside is nice and crispy. Add swiss cheese during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
- Slice tomatoes and avocado. Serve with burger fixings on toasted buns.