Traditionally, beef stroganoff is a sautéed dish that tastes like stew. Along with beef, it typically features meaty mushrooms and a bit of mustard to cut though its inherent richness.
In order to get a cut of meat like chuck roast broken down and melt-in-your-mouth good, you need to cook your stroganoff low and slow. But when you make beef stroganoff in a pressure cooker, your meal can be ready in roughly an hour. A big improvement from a 6 hour cook time.
If you’re looking for a starch to go with your stroganoff, layer hunks of saucy meat over these Sweet Potato Noodles
- 1h 15m
- 2/3 onion
- 2/3 c coconut cream
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 4 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 c beef stock, or chicken stock
- 3 tbsp. red wine
- 2 lb chuck roast
- 2 tbsp. bacon fat, or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- 3 tbsp. arrowroot, or more as needed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley
- Preheat the slow cooker on high.
- Slice onion and mushrooms and mince garlic.
- Place two thirds of the arrowroot in a large bowl with sea salt and ground pepper.
- Cut beef into ½-inch wide strips.
- Dredge beef strips in flour mixture.
- Set the pressure cooker to sauté.
- Heat bacon fat or olive oil in pressure cooker. Working in small batches, brown the beef on all sides, transferring to a separate plate when done.
- Once all beef is browned, add the wine and broth to the pressure cooker, gently scraping the bottom of the pan to incorporate any brown bits on the bottom. Add Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard while constantly stirring. Sprinkle in remaining arrowroot until sauce is blended and begins to thicken.
- Stop the sauté setting.
- Add the beef, onions, mushrooms, garlic, and thyme to the pressure cooker.
- Spoon sauce over ingredients in pressure cooker.
- Set pressure cooker to 40 minutes on high pressure. Use natural release once cook time is complete.
- Remove thyme. Stir in coconut cream about 15 minutes before serving.
- Chop parsley. Serve garnished with parsley.