When making Bieler’s broth, it’s important to boil the zucchini, green beans, celery, fresh tarragon just until they peak in a vibrant, bright green color.
This quick blanch tenderizes your veggies so that they lose their raw edge. It also turns off enzymes that break down the green pigment in veggies, helping them to retain color, flavor, and natural sweetness.
If you can, use homemade chicken stock for that ultra-rich flavor and a lift of extra gelatin.
Nourishing Bieler’s Broth
- 4 zucchinis
- 1 lb green beans
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 bunches fresh parsley
- fresh herbs, optional
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- Slice zucchini. Remove ends from green beans. Chop celery. Remove stems from parsley. Tie herbs together with string.
- Add zucchini, green beans, celery, herbs, and chicken stock to a saucepan and boil until veggies are bright green.
- Remove from heat and add parsley, tomato paste, and paprika.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup to your preferred consistency. Add sea salt as desired.