White Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 c cooked chicken
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 oz mild green chile peppers, such as hatch chiles
- 4 tbsp. butter, plus more to grease dishes
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 c yogurt, or cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 oven safe dish.
- Shred the chicken.
- Lay a single layer of tortillas on the bottom of the dish, tearing a couple tortillas in half.
- Next, layer all of the chicken and half of the shredded cheese.
- Next, layer the chilies and 1/4 of the shredded cheese. Top with remaining tortillas.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add garlic, paprika, and cumin. Stir for 2-3 minutes to allow flavors to combine. Sprinkle in flour. Slowly add broth, whisking until smooth. Continue stirring until thick and bubbly. Reduce heat and stir in cream or yogurt. Warm but do not bring to a boil.
- Pour sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese. If desired, enchiladas can be frozen before baking for another night OR bake 20-25 minutes until bubbly.
- Broil on high for 3 minutes to lightly brown the top.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving, which will allow the liquid to partially set.
- Warm leftovers in a pan on the stove or in the oven, covered.
- Cooking instructions for the frozen batch:
- Without preheating, place frozen enchiladas in the oven; leave parchment and foil on; turn oven to 375F and cook for 45 minutes or until enchiladas are warmed through. Remove foil and parchment; cook additional 10-15 minutes, until bubbling.