Far be it from us to tell you whether this gluten free strawberry crumble is better for breakfast or dessert. Regardless, we recommend eating it warm and topping it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Find a great deal on strawberries at the farmer’s market this week? Keep berries fresh longer by washing the berries in a vinegar bath using 1 cup of vinegar to 8 cups of water. Then, rinse and dry well before placing in the fridge.
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. tapioca starch
- 1 small lemon
- 4 c strawberries
For the crumble topping:
- 1 c gluten-safe oats
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Wash and halve the strawberries. Juice the lemon.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the strawberries, tapioca starch, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and maple syrup. Transfer to an 9X9 baking pan.
- Mix the topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Evenly spread it over the strawberries and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until the strawberries are juicy and bubbly and the topping is golden-brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.