Slow Cooker Fried Polenta with Tomato and Basil
- 5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, or fat of choice
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 c chicken broth
- 1 c cornmeal
- 4 oz parmesan cheese
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 4 oz goat cheese
- sea salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Grease the walls of the slow cooker with one fifth of the olive oil.
- Chop the onion. Add to slow cooker with chicken broth, cornmeal, and remaining olive oil.
- Stir well; cover and cook on low for 6 to 9 hours (3 to 4 hours on high), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Grate the parmesan cheese and stir into the polenta.
- Transfer polenta mixture to a greased loaf pan. Chill thoroughly, then cut into 1/4-inch slices and fry in olive oil until browned.
- Deseed and chop tomatoes. Mince basil. Top fried polenta with tomatoes and basil and garnish with goat cheese crumbled on top.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.