I like to think of this as a delicious twist on fried rice, but sub coconut milk for the egg and quinoa for the rice. Basically, it’s not fried rice at all, but it’s so good.
Shiitake mushrooms are said to be anti-inflammatory, support your immune system, and even lower cholesterol. Kale is loaded with Vitamin C and is said to be one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. And this recipe has all of the other good things. Coconut milk is a healthy fat. Ginger is the digestive systems best friend. Raw honey helps with allergies.
Eat your vitamins. Your delicious umami vitamins.
Looking for more vegetarian Asian inspired recipes with mushrooms? Try these Japanese Spaghetti Squash Noodles.
Kale and Shiitake Bowls
- 1/2 c dry quinoa
- 1/2 c coconut milk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 carrots
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- ground black pepper, to taste
- For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. unpasteurized soy sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. sriracha sauce, optional
- Soak quinoa overnight and rinse well.
- In a small sauce pan, combine quinoa and coconut milk. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to very low, cover and gently simmer until quinoa is tender and all of the coconut milk is absorbed. Add quinoa to a large bowl.
- Mince the garlic. Slice the mushrooms very thinly. Strip out stems and central rib from kale. Chop kale greens finely and shred carrots.
- Prepare mushrooms by heating half of the olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender. Add thyme and black pepper; stir to combine. Place cooked mushrooms in the bowl with quinoa.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pan, sauté kale and carrots until kale is just wilted and still bright green. Add to bowl with mushrooms.
- For the dressing: Peel and grate ginger. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Add more soy sauce to your taste.
- Pour half of the sauce over the quinoa and veggies. Stir well. Taste and add more dressing to your preference. Serve hot or cold.