Italian Meatball Sandwich
- 24 oz frozen meatballs, Italian or homestyle
- 2 bell peppers, any color
- 2 onions
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 32 oz marinara sauce
- 4 hoagie rolls
- parchment paper
- 8 oz provolone cheese, or mozzarella - omit for dairy free
- Bake meatballs in oven per directions on package.
- Slice peppers and onions. Slice provolone cheese, if needed.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions and cook for 10-15 minutes until tender and starting to brown.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and pour marinara sauce over peppers and onions and stir to combine. Let simmer for a few minutes to warm sauce.
- When meatballs are baked, add to the sauce/veggie mixture and stir.
- Slice hoagie rolls open, if needed, and spoon meatball/veggie mixture into rolls. Top each sandwich with cheese slices and place on parchment-lined baking sheet or in a baking dish.
- Turn broiler on and place baking dish under broiler for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Keep an eye on the sandwiches so they don’t burn.