Gone are the days when a braise took the whole day. With the magic of a little pressure, this bourbon braised pork roast takes about an hour to cook in your Instant Pot.
Heat, pressure, and moisture work together to break down tough connective tissue. In this case, the “moisture” is your marinade: Dijon mustard, molasses, a splash of bourbon, and a spoonful of sriracha Sriracha (Whole30) , if you like. The bourbon brings hints of caramel and cinnamon, the molasses a bit of sweet and smokey.
While you may be tempted to use blackstrap molasses for its health benefits – don’t. Blackstrap molasses is remarkably different in taste and more bitter. You’ll get the best results if you stick with standard organic molasses.
Instant Pot Bourbon Braised Pork Roast
- 13h 15m
- 2 lb boneless pork roast
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 tsp. molasses
- 1/3 c bourbon, gluten free brand like Wild Turkey
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sriracha sauce
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. bacon fat, or coconut oil
- Trim excess fat from roast, leaving a thin layer. Mince garlic.
- Mix all ingredients except for pork and bacon fat or coconut oil in a shallow dish. Add pork and marinate for 12-24 hours, turning several times.
- Remove pork from marinade and set aside. Pat pork dry with paper towels.
- In pressure cooker on saute mode, heat the bacon fat or coconut oil over medium high heat. Add the pork and sear on all sides.
- Add marinade over pork and close lid. Cook on high for 55 minutes.
- Once cooking is done, release pressure using manual mode.
- Transfer pork to a serving platter and allow to rest for about five minutes. Slice pork into thin slices across the grain, drizzle with braising liquid and serve.