With summer just around the corner, I can’t get enough of the fresh veggies and spring flavors. This herbed quinoa salad is perfect for packing up for a day at the park or even at your desk, wishing you were spending the day outside.
Not a huge fan of quinoa? Simply swap it for your favorite grain or even pasta for similar yet personalized flavor.
Herbed Quinoa Salad
- 2 c quinoa
- 2 c vegetable stock, or filtered water
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt, plus more taste
- 1/2 lb asparagus
- 1/2 c fresh basil
- 1/2 c fresh parsley
- 1/2 c fresh chives
- 1 lemon
- 3 c peas
- 8 oz fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese
- Soak quinoa overnight and rinse well.
- Bring stock to a boil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. As soon as it reaches a boil, add the quinoa, cover with a lid, and remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes, then remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Add olive oil and stir to coat and season to taste with sea salt.
- Slice asparagus very thinly into rounds. Finely mince the basil, parsley and chives. Juice the lemon.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add peas, and blanch until peas are bright green. Drain and rinse the in cold water, then drain again.
- Add the asparagus rounds, the basil, the parsley, the chives, and the lemon juice to the bowl with the peas. Stir to mix. Add the couscous to the greens and stir to coat. Season to taste with sea salt. Serve room temperature or chilled. Cube fresh mozzarella cheese and fold into salad just before serving.