If you were to stop by our house on any Sunday afternoon, you would see meal prep for the week ahead. In particular, chicken bone broth is a weekly staple. Not only is the broth vital for health benefits, having cooked chicken on hand is to key to meal planning success.
These harissa spiced chicken wraps combine already cooked chicken with a flavorful yet simple spice mixture for an easy weeknight dinner.
Harissa Spiced Chicken Wraps
- 5.0 stars
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c thick yogurt, or Greek yogurt
- 1 bell pepper
- 4 flat bread, (or sprouted tortillas)
- 1 lemon
- 2 c cooked chicken
- 1 tbsp. harissa spice, plus more to taste
For the harissa spice:
- 4 tsp. whole coriander seeds
- 5 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, more if you prefer heat
- For the harissa spice: Over low heat in a cast iron skillet, place coriander, cumin and caraway seeds and dry roast for about 3-5 minutes taking care not to burn. Place seeds in a mortar and pestle or clean coffee grinder and grind into powder.
- In a small jar, place paprika, sea salt, garlic powder, cayenne, and the ground seeds. Cover with the lid and shake to blend. Store in a cool dry place until ready to use.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add harissa seasoning, and sauté for a minute to release the flavors.
- Add the shredded chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes to warm through. Adjust seasoning to your preference.
- Turn off heat. Juice the lemon and add it to the seasoned chicken.
- To warm the flatbread, in a hot pan over medium heat, add tortillas individually and cook them for about 30 seconds on each side, until they are soft and pliable. Place them in a bowl lined and cover with a clean kitchen towel until you’re ready to serve.
- Finely slice bell pepper. Spoon some chicken onto the center of each wrap. Top with bell pepper and thick yogurt. Fold and serve immediately.