The Strata is the perfected breakfast casserole. And this recipe has just the right amount of good fats and veggies to make it melt in your mouth delicious.
One of the best parts however, is that is a real time saver. It can be made the night before and you can just pop it in the oven before your guests arrive. You can make an extra tray and heat it up all week before work. You could even make this in muffin trays and customize them each to everyone’s preferences (Just be careful. The bake time will be shorter.)
Definitely put this on your meal plan. It’s craveworthy and simple.
If you’re looking for more baked egg recipes for brunch, try this southern classic Creamed Spinach with Barley and Baked Eggs.
Ham and Cheddar Strata
- 5.0 stars
- 1h 20m
- 1 onion
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 lb cooked ham
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 oz cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 c cream, or yogurt
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp. coarse sea salt
- Finely dice onion and broccoli. Dice the ham into 1/2 inch cubes. If your sourdough bread is fresh, lightly toast it to dry it out. Cut into 1 inch squares. Shred the cheese.
- In a large frying pan, heat the butter or olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until it begins to soften.
- Lightly oil a three quart baking dish. Arrange the bread squares in a single layer in the bottom of the dish. Top evenly with half of the onions, half of the ham, half of the broccoli, and half of the cheese. Repeat the layers a second time.
- In a large bowl, whisk cream or yogurt, eggs, hot pepper sauce, and sea salt. Pour mixture over the entire dish.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours or up to 24 hours. Bake at 350F uncovered for about 1 hour or until the dish is set and the top is lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool for about 10 minutes before serving.