If you are unfamiliar with posole soup, it’s a celebratory dish with Mexican roots often served at important occasions such as weddings, birthdays and quinceañeras. Made from a base of thick, sweet hominy and tart tomatillos, this green chicken posole soup is a step beyond the normal tortilla soup you are likely more familiar with.
The toppings truly make this dish so don’t skimp on the avocado and queso fresco. Cook up a big batch and freeze the extras to have on hand for busy weeks (leave the toppings off when freezing).
Green Chicken Posole Soup
- 1 qt hominy
- 1 lb tomatillo
- 1 onion
- 3 poblano chiles
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 qt chicken stock
- 4 c cooked chicken
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 avocado
- 4 small radishes
- 1 lime
- queso fresco, optional
- Cook, drain and rinse the hominy. Set aside.
- Husk and halve the tomatillos. Quarter the onion. Core, deseed and quarter the chiles. Chop the cilantro coarsely and set some aside for garnish.
- In a food processor, combine the halved tomatillos, quartered onion, poblanos and jalapeños, garlic, and chopped cilantro. Blend until smooth, adding a bit of filtered water if necessary and scraping down the sides of the bowl to incorporate all the bits.
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil, 2/3 of the tomatillo puree (reserving one third – leave in the blender), sea salt, coriander, and cumin. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce turns a deep green, about 10 minutes.
- While this is cooking, add one quarter hominy to the blender with the reserved tomatillo mixture, and blend until smooth.
- Shred the cooked chicken if not done already.
- Add the chicken stock, shredded chicken, and the remaining three quarters of the the hominy. Bring to a simmer over moderate heat and cook until just heated through.
- Right before serving add the reserved tomatillo/hominy mixture into the soup. Season with additional sea salt, and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Peel, pit and slice the avocado. Slice the radishes thinly and slice the lime into wedges.
- Garnish each bowl with avocado, radishes, reserved cilantro, and optional queso fresco. Serve with a wedge of lime.