Pizza night is a tradition and with this healthy, homemade deep dish pizza crust. you no longer have to feel bad about it! This recipe is a great place to get kids involved in the kitchen by helping to roll out dough and add the toppings.
Deep Dish Pizza Crust
- 1h 40m
- 3 1/4 c sprouted flour
- 5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp. butter, softened
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 1/4 c filtered water, room temperature
- 2 1/4 tsp. instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp. raw honey
- 1 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1/2 c sprouted cornmeal
- 12 oz cremini mushrooms
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 1/2 lb sausage
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, from grass-fed cows
- 14 oz pizza sauce
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, honey, and yeast in a large bowl. Add water and melted butter and mix on low speed using a dough hook (or by hand), until fully combined, 1 to 2 minutes, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl occasionally. Increase speed to medium and knead until dough is smooth and pulls away from sides of bowl, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Coat a large bowl with 1 T. olive oil. Transfer dough to bowl, turning to coat the dough in oil; cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature until nearly doubled in volume, about 45 minutes – 1 hr.
- To make flaky crust…Using a rolling pin and extra cornmeal to prevent sticking, roll the dough out onto dry work surface into a rectangle about 15×12-inches (I prefer to do this on a silpat for ease of transfer and clean up). Using clean hands, spread the softened butter over the surface of the dough. Starting at the short end, roll the dough into a tight tube. With seam side down, flatten the cylinder into a rectangle about 18×4-inches. Cut rectangle in half crosswise.
- Working with one half, fold into thirds like a letter; pinch seams together to form a ball.
- Don’t worry if it’s not perfect, it will still be delicious.
- Repeat with remaining half. Return balls to oiled bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let rise in refrigerator until nearly doubled in volume, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 425F.
- Remove sausage from casing and saute in 1 T. olive oil.
- Meanwhile, slice mushrooms, and add to pan, sauteing until liquid has mostly cooked off. Remove stems from kale and chop finely. Add kale until just wilted. Shred the cheese.
- To bake, coat two 9-inch round cake pans with 2 tablespoons olive oil each. Transfer 1 dough ball to dry work surface and roll out into a 13-inch circle. Transfer dough to the pan by rolling the dough loosely around a rolling pin and unrolling into pan. Lightly press dough into pan, working into corners and 1 inch up sides. If dough resists stretching, let it relax for 5 minutes before trying again. Repeat with remaining dough ball.
- Add sauce, cheese and toppings and bake until crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove pizza from oven and let rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.