The best part of a chicken pot pie hands down is the crust. With this chicken pot pie crumble, you get all the yummy goodness of the crust but without the time and hassle of a homemade crust. Have special dietary restrictions and miss chicken pot pie? No worries – we have a gluten free, dairy free and even Paleo version in the Meal Planner.
Even better, this recipe is intentionally doubled to give you dinner for tonight plus one for the freezer! Just pull it out of the freezer, throw it in the oven and dinner is handled.
Chicken Pot Pie Crumble
- 5.0 stars
- 1h 30m
For the Crumble:
- 1 1/2 c sprouted wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/4 c butter
- 2 oz parmesan cheese
- 1 c raw cream
For the Filling:
- 2 c shredded chicken
- 5 c chicken stock
- 2 onions
- 4 carrots
- 1/2 c fresh parsley
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3/4 c butter
- 3/4 c sprouted wheat flour
- 1/4 c cream
- 5 oz frozen peas
- For the crumble: Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and optional cayenne pepper.
- Dice the butter into small cubes. Shred the parmesan cheese.
- Using your fingertips, mash butter into mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Pour in heavy cream and mix until just combined.
- Roughly spread mixture about 1/2 inch thick onto a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- When cool, break into crumble (about the size of grapes or smaller) to top the pot pie filling.
- For the filling: While the crumble is cooling, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Roughly chop the cooked chicken into cubes. Warm the chicken stock. Peel and chop the onions. Dice the carrots. Mince the parsley. Juice the lemon.
- In a large pan sauté onions, salt and thyme in butter (or coconut oil) until they begin to soften.
- Add carrots and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle in sprouted flour while continuously stirring for about two minutes to make a roux (a thick paste).
- Slowly pour in chicken stock, while continuously stirring. Simmer for a minute.
- Pour in cream and combine well.
- Add the chicken, peas, parsley, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Place filling into two 9×9 baking dishes. Top with crumble. Wrap one dish with parchment paper and then aluminum foil, label, and freeze for a later meal.
- For the remaining dish, bake for 15 minutes or until breading is golden brown.
- To prepare the frozen crumble, place directly from the freezer into a cold oven, leaving parchment and foil in place. Turn oven to 425F. Bake for 1 hour, or until the insides are hot and bubbly. Remove parchment and foil, turn on broiler for a few minutes until topping is golden brown.