Never candied a walnut? If you love that sweet and salty exterior that you get with a handful of nuts, the time has come. Spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and orange zest, these candied walnuts bring a good measure of holiday cheer.
What’s more, we soak our nuts…which makes them easier to digest and better for you.
- 3 c walnuts
- 1 orange
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c sucanat
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- Place walnuts in a large bowl and cover with filtered water. Place in a warm spot in the kitchen and soak walnuts overnight. In the morning, drain and rinse nuts well. Dehydrate for 12-24 hours in your dehydrator set to 150F or oven at 150F or the lowest available temperature.
- Preheat oven to 300F and line a cookie sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
- Zest the orange and squeeze the juice into a large bowl. Whisk in the egg until well combined. Add the nuts and all of the remaining ingredients and toss to coat the nuts.
- Spread the nuts in one even layer on a cookie sheet and bake for 30-45 minutes (turning once or twice) until they are crispy but not charred.
- After baking, cool to room temperature and place in an airtight container.