Looking for a good basic vinaigrette? We tell you everything you need to know about how to make the best homemade salad dressing in this post.
When you want a quick and simple vinaigrette, this is it. Lemon and olive oil are brought together with a touch of honey as a sweet emulsifier. Shallot for some bitterness, and salt and pepper to taste. After a while, you can just eyeball the proportions, but until it feels like second nature, don’t be shy about measuring out your ratios: 3 parts oil to one part lemon.
Out of lemon or want to try something different? Experiment with various kinds of vinegar – balsamic, red wine, rice wine, and apple cider vinegars all make lovely vinaigrettes as well.
- 1 lemon
- 1 shallot
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 tsp. sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Juice the lemon. Mince shallot.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, honey, and minced shallot in a small bowl. Slowly add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly until emulsified.
- Season with the salt and pepper.