Bacon Avocado Broccoli Melts
- 5.0 stars
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 avocado
- 8 oz bacon
- 8 slices bread
- 8 tbsp. butter, softened
- ground black pepper
- Shred the cheese. Remove the broccoli stem and set it aside for another use. Mince the broccoli florets finely. Slice avocado thinly.
- Cook bacon in a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat until crispy. Remove to a paper towel to drain and then crumble. Pour bacon fat into a clean mason jar through a fine mesh strainer to save for cooking later.
- Reduce stove temperature to medium low. Spread 1 T. butter over each slice of bread.
- Place bread, buttered sides down into pan with remnants of bacon grease, working in batches if necessary. Sprinkle shredded cheese over all of the slices and then top half with the minced broccoli and crumbled bacon. Place a lid on the skillet and cook until the cheese is melted, the broccoli bright green, and the bread is golden. Top the loaded side with sliced avocado and freshly ground pepper. Add a \'lid\' of bread and cheese, slice in half, and serve.
- If you are working in small batches, you can keep the finished sandwiches warm by placing them on a plate in your oven set to it\'s lowest temperature.