Can cool and yummy both fit into a bowl? When you’re looking at avocado vichyssoise, it can.
Vichyssoise is traditionally a cold soup – made with potatoes, leeks, stock, and cream. We’ve switched out the cream and replaced it with smooth and luscious avocado. It’s the sort of thing that warm summer afternoons were made for.
Serve your vichyssoise chilled, with a side of crispy Parsnip Cakes .
- 3 potatoes
- 3 leeks
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 qt vegetable stock
- 2 avocados
- 4 tbsp. cilantro
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel and cube potatoes; trim and chop leeks.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add potatoes, leeks, and salt. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring, until softened.
- Add stock. Boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Purée soup, using an immersion blender then let cool.
- Slice avocados in half; remove the pit; peel off the skin; dice; and stir into the cooled soup. Chop the cilantro. Garnish with chopped cilantro and sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.