Shredded chicken. The bright sweetness of honey and orange marmalade. A little kick of ginger. And a deliriously good hit of umami from coconut aminos. Teriyaki chicken is a restaurant classic because it delivers. Time and time again.
What’s more, this recipe enlists the help of your slow cooker.
The juicy, sweet salty love that comes out of your slow cooker might inspire you to shower it with kisses. After all, how can one kitchen appliance tirelessly do so much for you?
Get your greens in and serve this with Seared Bok Choy – for full AIP compliance, be sure to skip the sesame seeds and switch out the sesame oil for coconut oil.
Teriyaki Chicken (AIP)
- 4.0 stars
- 6h 15m
- 3 lb chicken
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger
- 1/4 c coconut aminos
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c raw honey
- 1/2 c orange marmalade
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot
- Place chicken in a slow cooker, reserving giblets in the fridge to make chicken stock later. Mince the garlic and ginger.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, honey, orange marmalade, ginger, and garlic.
- Pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker, cover with lid and cook on low heat 5 - 6 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred, discarding the skin and saving the bones to make stock.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together arrowroot with an equal amount of cold filtered water.
- Pour arrowroot mixture into liquid in slow cooker and stir to thicken.
- Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and mix well with sauce and serve.