Is there anything more satisfying than a warm bowl of soup? This sweet and spicy bacon sweet potato soup is a Paleo compliant twist on the traditional potato soup filled with cream and the controversial white potato. Serve up as a light lunch or with a yummy burger for dinner.
Are you pro-white-potato? Our nifty meal planner lets you add individual ingredients into your Paleo plan so you can eat all the potatoes you want – whether that is 5 pounds a week or none at all.
Sweet and Spicy Bacon Sweet Potato Soup
- 1h 15m
- 2 1/2 lb sweet potatoes
- 1 onion
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 carrot
- 1 orange
- 2 tbsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle pepper, more or less depending on your spice preference
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 c chicken stock
- 2 tsp. maple syrup, plus more to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Chop onion and bacon. Peel and shred carrot. Grate the peel and juice the orange.
- In a large soup pot, add the sweet potatoes and enough water to cover. Add half the salt and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, return sweet potatoes to the pot, and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon in a large pan over medium-high heat until crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, keeping the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the onion, carrot, chipotle pepper, and cinnamon; cook until the onions are softened.
- Stir in the chicken stock, orange peel, and orange juice. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate any browned bits into the broth mixture.
- Add the broth mixture to the sweet potatoes in the pot. Puree with an immersion blender (alternatively, puree in small batches in a blender or food processor).
- Season with maple syrup, plus additional chipotle, salt, and pepper to your taste. Ladle into individual serving bowls, and crumble bacon slices atop and enjoy.