If you’ve ever spent much time in the Southern states (think Georgia, the Carolinas, or Alabama), you know breakfast can be an even bigger ordeal than dinner (aka “supper”).
This creamed spinach with barley and baked eggs takes a page out of the Southern handbook with its hearty, protein filled goodness. Make enough to have leftovers and enjoy for lunch tomorrow!
Creamed Spinach with Barley and Baked Eggs
- 20 oz frozen spinach
- 1/2 c pearled barley
- 1 1/2 c chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 4 green onions
- 4 eggs
- 1 c cream
- 2 oz parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Thaw spinach. Cook barley in chicken stock in a small, covered saucepan over low heat until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Chop green onions and grate parmesan cheese. Coarsely chop spinach. Juice and zest the lemon.
- Heat an ovenproof skillet and add butter. Sauté onions and cooked barley. Add spinach, lemon juice and zest, cream, cheese, nutmeg, salt and a few grinds of fresh black pepper stir to combine and cook for a few minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Remove from heat. Make a hole for each egg in the sauce and carefully crack an egg into each one.
- Put the skillet in the preheated oven for 7-10 minutes to finish cooking. They will look slightly undercooked when they are actually cooked through, so watch them closely.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and top with a few grinds of black pepper before serving.