Plant-powered and full of what you love best, veggie ceviche offers the perfect balance of crunchy vegetables and sweet fruit.
Of course, everyone knows that the best part of ceviche isn’t the protein – it’s the salty citrus marinade that’s left at the bottom of the bowl. Known as tiger’s milk in Peru, this mash-up of lime juice, sliced red onion, chile flakes, ground cumin, and salt is known to remedy hangovers. We like it because it tastes good.
Fire up the grill and complete your veggie ceviche with a stack of Grilled Veggie Tostadas .
- 3h 20m
- 2 red tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 mango
- 1/4 head purple cabbage
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, optional
- 2 oranges
- 2 limes
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 2 tbsp. fresh mint
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 pinch red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp. dulse flakes
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- Mince the tomatoes. Seed and mince the cucumber. Break the cauliflower into tiny florets and discard the stems. Peel, pit and mince the mango. Mince the cabbage.
- Remove seeds and pith from jalapeno then dice, wearing gloves to avoid burning your skin. Juice the citrus fruit. Peel and chop the onion. Chop cilantro and mince the mint. Peel and grate the ginger.
- Place all the minced veggies in a glass dish with the citrus juices, ginger, red chili flakes, dulse flakes, cumin and sea salt, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours - preferably overnight - stirring occasionally.