A creamy sauce dotted with bits of softened celery and caramelized onion. Topped with strips of chicken thighs popping with the flavors of oregano, thyme, basil, and rosemary. This chicken and rice casserole is everything you’d want to come home to at the end of a long day.
Of course, by “rice” we mean the paleo and grain-free variety that’s made with cauliflower. If you want to add a little more plant power to your meal, serve alongside Roasted Balsamic Portobello Mushrooms, Cherry Tomatoes & Asparagus , cherry tomatoes and asparagus.
Paleo Zesty Italian Chicken and Rice
- 4.2 stars
- 1h 30m
- 1 lb chicken thigh, or chicken breast
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 onion
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 c cassava flour
- 8 oz coconut milk
- 2 c filtered water
- 1 tbsp. dried minced onion
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325F. Chop chicken. Dice celery and onion. Break cauliflower into florets. Use a food processor to pulse cauliflower florets into a rice-like texture.
- In a bowl, mix together chicken, 1/3 of the olive oil, 1/2 of the Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery and saute until beginning to soften.
- Make a roux by sprinkling in flour while continuously stirring for about two minutes.
- Slowly whisk in coconut milk and water to make a thick sauce. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix minced onion, garlic powder, the remaining Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- In a baking pan, mix together cauliflower rice, sauce, and seasoning mix. Add chicken and balsamic vinegar and mix to combine.
- Cover and bake for 35-45 minutes, until rice and chicken are cooked through.