No matter how many or few bananas we buy at the store, there are always a few stragglers that ripen before we have the chance to eat them. And while banana bread is always a hit, a little variety is sometimes necessary.
No need for allergy restrictions to slow you down as this banana upside down cake is both grain-free and dairy-free.
Banana Upside Down Cake
- 12 eggs
- 2 c coconut milk
- 1 c raw honey
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c coconut flour
- 1 c almond flour
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the coconut milk, 3/4 of the honey, eggs and vanilla and combine well.
- In a separate bowl, mix coconut flour, almond flour and sea salt together.
- With an electric mixer, blend liquid ingredients into dry ingredients until smooth.
- Peel bananas and slice lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices.
- Melt coconut oil in a 12-inch skillet or cake pan over moderately high heat. Gently stir in remaining honey. When the honey and coconut oil foam and bubble, gently arrange banana slices into the skillet.
- Turn off the heat, pour in the cake batter and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for about five to ten minutes before inverting on a platter and serving.