Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 c ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. dried minced onions
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, more as needed
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt, more as needed
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 c panko breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375F. Beat egg.
- Place ground chicken in a large mixing bowl. Add egg, ricotta, parsley, basil, onion, red pepper flakes, garlic, nutmeg, pepper, salt, parmesan, and 1/3 of the bread crumbs. Lightly oil hands and gently mix all ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix or meatballs will be tough.
- Place remaining breadcrumbs on a plate and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop out golf ball-sized meatballs. Add more oil to your hands if the mixture is sticking and roll into balls; set on a plate. Slightly flatten meatballs with palm of your hand.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large cast-iron or ovenproof skillet with sides, over medium-high heat. While oil is heating, roll each meatball in panko bread crumbs.
- Once oil is shimmering, place meatballs in skillet in one layer. Do not overcrowd pan. You may need to do this in batches. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using two spatulas, gently flip meatballs and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Remove meatballs to a plate.
- Using a paper towel, you may need to wipe out crumbs in your skillet so they don’t burn while cooking the next batch. Add remaining oil to skillet and let heat to shimmering. Cook remaining meatballs.
- Remove skillet from heat and remove meatballs to plate. Allow skillet to cool for a few minutes, then slowly pour marinara in. It will bubble and splatter a bit so do be careful. Arrange meatballs on top of marinara. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and additional parmesan over top. Place in oven and cook for 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!