The flavors in this slow cooker chicken tikka masala are deep, warm and soothing. Don’t let the ingredient list scare you – you likely have the majority in your pantry already.
The best part of a slow cooker is the little amount of work it takes to get dinner on the table on a busy night. But what if you have a busy morning too and have no time to get everything in the crockpot? No worries – simply mix together the ingredients the night before and place in the fridge in a covered bowl. The next morning you can dump the bowl in the slow cooker and run out the door. Dinner solved.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- 3.6 stars
- 6h 35m
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts, (and or thighs – boneless and skinless)
- 1/2 tbsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 3/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, or more for heat
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger
- 14 1/2 oz tomato puree
- 3/4 c plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 bay leaves
- 1/2 c cream
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 1/4 lemon
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- Preheat the slow cooker to high.
- Cut chicken into 1.5 inch cubes.
- Place chicken, sea salt and spices in the slow cooker. Stir to combine and completely coat the chicken.
- Peel and dice the onion. Peel and mince the garlic and ginger.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, tomato puree, yogurt, olive oil and bay leaves to the slow cooker. Stir to combine well.
- Cover and cook for 6 hours on low.
- When done, in a medium bowl, whisk together heavy cream and arrowroot, then pour the mixture into the slow cooker and gently stir. Let cook an additional 20 minutes to thicken. Squeeze the lemon over the mixture and stir.
- Chop cilantro.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped cilantro.