This quinoa bowl will fill your family and have them asking for more.
The best part? Its versatility.
You can serve it on its own or as a side. You can add seeds or nuts for a little crunch or throw in those odds and ends vegetables you have laying around.
Trying serving this with a White Bean Caesar Salad to add some greens to your meal.
Quinoa Bowl with Beets & Caramelized Onions
- 1h 5m
- 2 c water
- 2 c dry quinoa
- 1 onion
- 5 beets
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 c vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 medium orange
- 2 tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 4 oz feta, optional
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- The day before cooking, place the the quinoa in a large bowl. Cover with filtered water and soak overnight.
- Slice the onion. Peel and cube the beets. Roughly chop the garlic.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Drain and rinse the quinoa until the water runs clear. Add the quinoa to the vegetable broth, and cook covered with a lid until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Place the beets on a baking pan with parchment paper, and toss with olive oil and a big pinch of sea salt. Let roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes, tossing once half-way.
- Meanwhile, start the onions. In a saute pan on low-medium heat, add coconut oil, onions, garlic, maple syrup and a big pinch of sea salt. Stirring occasionally, cook until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Juice and zest the orange. Mince the rosemary.
- Once all components are finished, mix together in a serving dish and stir in orange zest, juice and rosemary and goat cheese.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and serve.