Don’t let being gluten free stand in the way of delicious crusted fish. This mustard crusted halibut uses a base of almond flour and ground mustard for the coating. Then, roast the fish in hot bacon fat for even more flavor.
If fish isn’t part of your normal diet, now is a great time to start incorporating the nutrients it can offer. If halibut is more “fishy” than you prefer, feel free to use a milder white fish such as flounder or cod. Serve up on a bed of mashed cauliflower and a side of steamed asparagus.
Mustard Crusted Halibut (DF & GF)
- 1/4 c Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. dried mustard
- 1 1/2 lb halibut fillets, (6 ounces per person)
- 4 tbsp. almond flour
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil, or bacon fat
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine mustards in a small bowl, and coat the non-skin side of the halibut fillets with the mustard mixture. Then sprinkle evenly with almond flour, pressing gently to form a crust.
- Place the oil or bacon fat and the halibut fillets in the roasting pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through and the topping is beginning to brown.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.