Oh eggplant – how we love to hate you. Oddly shaped with a different texture than expected, even eggplant lovers often bury it in ratatouille or eggplant parmesan covered by sauce and cheese. This paleo eggplant flatbread with prosciutto and arugula lets the eggplant be the star of the show. With it’s crisp texture and savory flavor next to fresh tomatoes and basil, you’ll never try to hide your eggplant again!
Craving Italian flavors but looking for something more traditional? This Spaghetti Zoodle Bolognese will please a crowd.
Eggplant Flatbread with Prosciutto and Arugula
- 1h 10m
- 1 eggplant
- 1/4 c flax seed meal
- 1/4 c almond meal/flour
- 1 egg
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch basil
- 1/4 lb prosciutto
- 2 c arugula
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Peel eggplant with vegetable peeler and grate with a cheese grater.
- Place grated eggplant in a clean dish towel, and squeeze over a sink to remove excess liquid.
- Pour grated eggplant into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the flax meal and almond meal.
- Beat egg in a smaller bowl and add to batter.
- Add salt and pepper (generously) to taste.
- Mix until ingredients are evenly combined.
- Pour batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Smooth batter out with hands into a thin layer about 1/8 inch thick.
- Bake crust for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Remove the crust from oven.
- Lightly grease another piece of parchment paper with olive oil, and place on top of crust.
- Carefully flip the crust and then slowly peel off the parchment paper from the bottom side.
- Brush the flipped side lightly with olive oil.
- Bake opposite side for about 15 minutes.
- Thinly slice the tomato and basil leaves. Cut or tear the prosciutto into small pieces.
- Remove flatbread from oven. Place pieces of prosciutto on the crust first. Distribute arugula and fresh basil evenly over the prosciutto. Next, lay thin slices of tomato on top. Finally, drizzle olive oil over the top and sprinkle with salt, pepper, dried basil and oregano and serve.