Roasted broccoli florets are always a hit at our house and we got to thinking what we would do with the less popular, but just as delicious, stems. A few failed experiments later, we finally found the answer – broccoli noodles with garlic and toasted pine nuts.
The best part of these noodles is the flexibility. They are perfectly crisp and bright on their own but also a great substitute for regular noodles in Italian or Asian cuisine.
Broccoli Noodles with Garlic and Toasted Pine Nuts
- 1.0 stars
- 4 broccoli stems
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. romano cheese
- Peel and julienne the broccoli stems.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Once the oil heats, add in julienned stems, red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, shaking the skillet frequently, letting the broccoli cook.
- While the broccoli is cooking, place your pine nuts in a small skillet over medium heat. Let toast until fragrant and the pine nuts slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the pine nuts – toss occasionally. When done, set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice the garlic. Juice the lemon. Add in the garlic and lemon juice and cook for 3 more minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with pine nuts and pecorino romano cheese.