Sometimes you just need breakfast for dinner. This tomato bacon quiche is gluten free and dairy free and with an entire pound of bacon, it’s a little slice of heaven in your mouth. Let’s be honest – the reason you clicked on this recipe is due to the promise of bacon. Serve up next to these Cherry Coconut Smoothies for the full breakfast experience.
Tomato Bacon Quiche (DF)
For the crust:
- 1 sweet potato
For the filling:
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 leek
- 1 c cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 c filtered water
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grate the sweet potato.
- Layer the bottom and sides of 1 baking dish with shredded potato.
- Pre-bake potato lined dish for 20 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cut the bacon into slivers. Chop the leek and slice the tomato.
- Fry bacon in a pan and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Pour off all but 2 T. bacon fat, filter through a mesh strainer and reserve for later use.
- Sauté leek with salt, pepper, and paprika in bacon fat until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomato is tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven.
- Using a spatula, press the crust back into the sides (the sides tend to sink a bit when baking).
- Distribute tomato, bacon, and leek evenly on top of your crust.
- Using a wire whisk, beat eggs with filtered water. Gently pour beaten eggs evenly over baking dish contents.
- Bake quiche for 30 minutes or until set.
- Serve immediately or warm later in the oven.