Vietnamese spring rolls popping with fresh notes of basil and mint. A luscious sliver of avocado. The refreshing crunch of cucumber and carrot. And all the nutrient-dense brininess you can pull from perfectly cooked shrimp.
Sounds too good to be true? With a lettuce cup or paleo wraps, you can skip the rice paper and dip these sweet spring rolls in a dish of coconut aminos – maybe with a splash of Red Boat fish sauce.
Pair your Vietnamese spring rolls with Thai Coconut Soup for some seriously delicious and mouth-watering Asian fusion.
Vietnamese Spring Rolls
- 12 large shrimp
- 4 oz kelp noodles, (Sea Tangle)
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 c mint leaves
- 1/2 c cilantro
- 1/2 c fresh basil
- 1 bunch fresh chives
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 head butter lettuce, or Julian Bakery Paleo Wraps
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- coconut aminos, for dipping
- Bring a large saucepan filled halfway with water to a boil with a generous pinch of sea salt.
- Devein the shrimp, then drop into the water with heads and tails on.
- Boil until a few start floating to the top (about 5-7 minutes): Do not overcook or shrimp will be rubbery.
- Drain the shrimp in a colander, then submerge in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Remove shells and tails, then slice shrimp in half, lengthwise.
- To prepare the noodles: Boil kelp noodles for 2 minutes, then drain and cut into two inch pieces.
- Peel carrot and cucumber and slice with a mandoline slicer or use a sharp knife to cut as thinly as possible into long matchsticks. Peel and pit avocado; cut into thin slices. Chop the herbs.
- If using lettuce: Place a pinch each of noodles, carrot, cucumber, mint, cilantro, basil, chives, a single row of avocado, and a single row of shrimp onto the center of the wrap. Fold in half like a taco and enjoy.
- If using paleo wraps: Warm coconut oil over low to medium heat in a saucepan large enough to fit the wraps. Dip each paleo wrap into coconut oil until pliable, 5 to 10 seconds, and pat dry on a clean kitchen towel.
- Immediately place a pinch each of noodles, carrot, cucumber, mint, cilantro, basil, chives, a single row of avocado, and a single row of shrimp onto the center of the wrap. Fold bottom then sides of wrap over filling; roll into a cylinder.
- Serve with coconut aminos for dipping.