Simplicity reigns, always and forever. With this chicken avocado soup, you quickly get a sense that less is more. And a few key spices can bring out the best in your chicken.
Bright notes of cilantro, the sweet and sour combo of lime juice, and the fresh creamy flavor of avocado. It doesn’t take much.
Make sure to plan ahead and either prep some shredded chicken and bone broth, or buy a rotisserie bird and some good quality chicken stock.
How to make shredded chicken and broth in the Instant Pot
You can also make the chicken and broth in your Instant Pot. Place the chicken and giblets into pressure cooker. Fill with enough filtered water to cover 3/4 of the chicken. Close lid and pressure cook for 25 minutes. When done cooking, allow pressure to release naturally. Remove the chicken from the water, leaving giblets. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove all of the meat using your fingers (gloves optional) and set aside for this week’s recipes. Replace the bones and skin back into the pot with the giblets and liquid. Add the apple cider vinegar. Close lid and pressure cook for 30 minutes. Carefully strain the broth through a fine metal sieve and discard the bones.
Chicken Avocado Soup (Instant Pot)
- 5.0 stars
- 2 c cooked chicken
- 1 bunch green onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 limes
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 qt chicken stock
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- 3 avocados
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Shred the chicken. Mince the green onions (keeping green and white parts separate) and garlic. Juice the limes.
- In the pressure cooker on sauté mode, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add white parts of green onions. Sauté until tender, about 2 minutes, adding garlic during last 30 seconds of sautéing. Add chicken stock and sea salt.
- Add shredded chicken. Close lid and pressure cook for 4 minutes.
- When done cooking, quick release pressure. Add lime juice. Adjust the seasoning.
- Peel, core and dice the avocados and chop the cilantro.
- Just before serving, stir in cilantro and greens of green onions. Top with avocados and serve.