This recipe for chicken and bacon with kale has only three ingredients. And chances are, they’re in your fridge right now.
What makes this dish great: It takes a mere 20 minutes to pull together. You’ll taste an explosion of good, #becausebacon. Crispy bits of chicken can certainly hold their own. And kale – well, kale gives a toothsome bite of green with some plant power.
Following the autoimmune protocol or Whole30? Make sure your bacon is both nitrate and sugar free – preferably with just two ingredients: pork and salt.
Chicken and Bacon with Kale
- 8 oz bacon
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts, or use leftover chicken from previous meal
- 1 bunch kale
- sea salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, fry the bacon until crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking, prepare the chicken. If you are using raw chicken breasts, chop into one inch cubes. If you are using leftover chicken, remove from the bones and shred using your fingers.
- When bacon is crispy, remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour most of the bacon grease (leave about 3 T.) through a fine metal sieve into a clean mason jar. Allow to cool on the countertop to room temperature, then cover and store in the fridge to use for frying in a future meal.
- Add the chicken to the remaining bacon grease and saute until cooked through (just until warm if using leftover chicken). When cooked through, add kale and cover for a few minutes until kale is tender.
- Stir bacon into chicken and kale, then add salt and pepper to taste.