Spanakorizo with Halloumi
- 1 onion
- 1/2 lemon
- 4 oz halloumi cheese
- 20 oz frozen spinach
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dried mint
- 2 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 c brown rice
- 3 c water
- Dice onion. Zest and juice lemon. Slice halloumi cheese into 1 ounce slices.
- In a dutch oven or soup pot, heat 2/3 of the olive oil. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add spinach, stir to combine, and cook for 3-5 minutes until heated through. Add garlic, mint, dill, salt, pepper, and lemon zest and stir.
- Add rice and water and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, and lower heat to a simmer. Simmer rice and spinach for 15 minutes.
- While spinach and rice are cooking, fry the halloumi cheese.
- Brush olive oil on each slice of cheese and heat remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook cheese slices for 1-3 minutes on each side. They should form a golden brown crust. When done cooking, remove to a plate and set aside.
- When spinach mixture is cooked, and all liquid has been absorbed, sprinkle in lemon juice and stir. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Spoon into individual bowls and top with a slice of halloumi. Serve immediately.
See what other people are saying about Spanakorizo with Halloumi
No reviews just yet. You can be the first!