Tomatillos how do we love you? Let us count the ways – on veggie filled enchiladas, on top of burgers and even on scrambled eggs. The only way to make the tangy vegetables even better is by topping them with caramelized asparagus.
Kickoff your springtime barbecues with this roasted asparagus with fennel and tomatillos and you’ll have the whole neighborhood stopping by!
Roasted Asparagus with Fennel and Tomatillos
- 1 onion
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 3/4 lb tomatillo
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c cilantro
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp. sucanat
- Trim and chop the onion and fennel bulb. Chop the thick ends off the asparagus. Husk and rinse the tomatillos. Mince the garlic. Chop cilantro and set aside for garnish.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the asparagus with the olive oil, a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper, and roast for 15-20 min. depending on how thick your spears are.
- In a large heavy bottomed skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté until it begins to soften. Add fennel, tomatillos, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the tomatillos begin to break apart.
- Juice the lime and add the lime juice and sucanat. Continue simmering until the vegetable mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Garnish fennel and tomatillos with cilantro and serve topped with roasted asparagus.