Served as an entree or a side dish, this coconut kale fried millet is a yummy spin on traditional fried rice flavors.
Never tried millet before? Full of B vitamins and iron, millet is a great substitute for rice in dishes as it is mild in flavor and takes on the flavor of the other ingredients.
Coconut Kale Fried Millet
- 2 c millet
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 c vegetable stock, or use filtered water
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 4 green onions
- 4 carrots
- 1 bunch kale
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce, plus more to taste
- Soak millet overnight, strain and rinse well. Cook the millet in coconut milk and vegetable stock or filtered water covered, for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let it rest, covered, for 5 minutes. (You can do this ahead of time and refrigerate the leftover millet until you’re ready to heat up the skillet).
- Mince the garlic and ginger. Slice the green onions. Slice carrots into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. Strip kale from stem and chop finely. Mince the cilantro.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg. Over medium-high heat, heat half of the coconut oil in a wok or large skillet. Once it is hot, pour in the eggs and swirl the pan to create a thin layer of egg. Let it set up (about 45 seconds), then fold the eggs over on themselves and cook for about another 30 seconds and transfer to a plate or cutting board. Allow to cool slightly and then slice into strips.
- Using a paper towel, wipe off any remaining egg from the pan and return to medium-high heat. Add the sesame oil and remaining coconut oil and allow to get hot. Stir in the ginger, garlic, and sea salt and cook for about 15 seconds. Stir in the green onions and carrots for another 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the kale and saute until just wilted and bright green. Stir in the millet and soy sauce, then add the egg and continue cook until warmed through.
- Divide into serving bowls, top with cilantro, and season with additional soy sauce to taste.