In a nutshell, cooking an apple transforms it. Slow cooked caramel apples may begin as hard, crunchy fruit that stores well. But with a little heat and a lotta love, they become something magically simple and delicious.
The topping for slow cooked caramel apples is just as pure and wholesome as the apples themselves: almonds and coconut sweetened with coconut sugar. Chances are you have everything you need in your pantry to make these – like, right now.
Pair these soft, melt-in-your-mouth apples with Cassava Waffles a perfectly decadent dessert.
Slow Cooked Caramel Apples
- 4h 20m
- 6 large apples
- 3/4 c coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
For the topping:
- 1/2 c almond flour
- 1/4 c shredded coconut
- 1/4 c coconut sugar
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Peel, core and cut apples into 2 inch pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, combine coconut sugar, apples, and salt. Spread onto bottom of slow cooker.
- Mix your crumble topping ingredients with clean hands until well combined. Sprinkle it over top of the apples. Cook on low for 4 hours, or high for 2 hours.
- Turn off heat and let sit, covered, for one hour to let the caramel thicken.
- Serve over chilled coconut milk, dairy free ice cream, or just on their own. Yum!