Meatless Monday is calling, and this lemon herb millet salad is your answer. Bright and fresh, pair it with roasted asparagus or your favorite soup.
Speaking of herbs, we love basil and our friend Katie at Wellness Mama has 10 great ways to use basil that bring our obsession to a whole new level. Pick up a plant for your windowsill today and join the fan club.
Lemon Herb Millet Salad
- 7h 30m
- 1 1/2 c millet
- 2 1/4 c chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 green onions
- 1/2 c parsley
- 1/2 c basil
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 c pine nuts
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak millet in filtered water overnight. The next day, drain millet and rinse well.
- Bring the stock or filtered water to a boil. Add the millet, sea salt and cumin. Stir a couple of times, then reduce the heat. Cover and cook, undisturbed, until the millet is soft and the stock has been absorbed, for about 30 minutes.
- Finely chop the green onions, parsley and basil. Juice and zest the lemon. In a small pan, dry toast the pine nuts until golden.
- When the millet is cooked, fluff it with a fork and transfer to a serving bowl. Mix in the green onions, parsley, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, and black pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately topped with toasted pine nuts.