Been craving a Philly cheese steak sandwich but food restrictions standing in your way? These Philly steak lettuce cups are an AIP compliant twist on the traditional favorite.
The secret behind getting the meat sliced to the perfect thin strip is to cut the steak while frozen. If you don’t have overnight, give it at least 45 minutes in the freezer to harden before slicing.
Philly Steak Lettuce Cups (AIP)
- 1 1/2 lb rib eye steak
- 2 onions
- 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms
- 3 tbsp. bacon fat
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- If your steak is not frozen, freeze it overnight so you can slice it thinly. Remove from freezer and using your sharpest knife, slice the steak as thinly as possible. Slice the onions.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, sauté the onions and mushrooms in bacon fat. Remove to a plate.
- Turn heat to high. Add the rib eye steak and season generously with sea salt. Cook for a couple of minutes until browned.
- Replace veggies into the pan with the meat and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Wash and separate the leaves of lettuce and serve the veggie and meat mix in the lettuce leaves.