Chickpea Butternut Squash Curry
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 butternut squash
- 4 tbsp. curry paste
- 2 c cooked chickpeas
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 c filtered water
- 1 tbsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 4 oz spinach
- Chop the onions and cloves of garlic, and set aside. Heat the oil in a large deep pan, and cook the chopped onions and garlic over low heat for 10 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile dice your butternut squash to match the size of chickpeas. When the onions are tender add the curry paste and cook for a minute or so stirring the whole time, then add your squash, chickpeas, coconut milk, water and sea salt, bring it to a boil, then turn the heat down to a low-medium and simmer it covered for 35-40 minutes. Stir it occasionally to prevent from burning and add a few splashes of water if it gets too dry.
- Test the butternut squash, it should be fork tender by this point but not falling apart. Your curry should be thick so if it’s too runny, uncover and let the liquid cook down for a few more minutes. When you like the consistency of the curry, taste and add more salt if desired.
- Right before serving, mince cilantro, stir in spinach and cilantro and allow to wilt.